We Can Take On Any Winter Storm!
If you experience damage from a storm to your home or business, please call us at 802-375-1500!
With winter and cold weather just around the corner we here at SERVPRO of Bennington & Rutland Counties want you to be prepared!
A winter storm is typically occurring at extremely low temperatures where precipitation forms snow or sleet, or even rain that freezes and turns to ice when hitting the ground. A winter storm can be life threatening so it is important to be able to differentiate the different possible storms for your safety!
Blizzards are a combination of blowing snow which creates low visibility. Blizzards are dangerous storms that can have an accumulation of a lot of snow fall on the ground. If you get stuck in a blizzard for a long period of time it can lead to hypothermia and even frostbite.
Snow Flurries usually last for a short period of time but vary with intensity. Typically, they are light and within a few seconds of hitting pavement the snow usually melts right away.
A Snow squall although it is brief can cause some major safety concerns. They are short intense snowfalls that come with strong winds and greatly impact your visibility of your surroundings. So be careful when driving in situations like this!
Ice storms are storms that cause at least a fourth of an inch of ice forming on the ground or exposed surfaces. Ice storms create extremely poor driving conditions, so you want to be extremely cautious if you get caught driving in an ice storm. Tree branches and power lines also have been known to fall during ice storms due to the weight the ice puts on the, which can cause them to snap.
No matter the winter storm or damage that occurs from it we here at SERVPRO are here to help! If you experience damage from a storm to your home or business, please call us at 802-375-1500.
What Should You Do as a Homeowner After a Storm
Call us at 518-677-3444!
Lately we have seen our fair share of rainfall here in New England! And significant rainfall can lead to flooding and ceiling leaks. Whether you have a basement flooding or have secondary damage from moisture getting into your home, SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties can help!
No matter the severity or extent of the damage we have a team of skilled professionals who are faster to any disaster. Stormwater events are usually categorized into two groups.
• Category 2- this is when water comes through a window, or a ceiling and the contamination is not as significant.
• Category 3- generally involves basement flooding’s with groundwater which contain several harmful microorganisms, fecal matter, and other contaminants.
The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a situation like the ones described is to give us a call! The faster we are notified the faster we can be on site and start the mitigation process and decrease the amount of damage in your home.
Once we are on site we will:
1. Extract standing water if there is any.
2. Remove unwanted/unsalvageable contents.
3. Use our state-of-the-art equipment including meters to determine which other areas may be wet.
4. Set up drying equipment and sanitize the structure.
5. Dry and clean contents.
6. Perform any demolition that is needed.
7. Provide reconstruction resources/services as needed.
We are a 24/7 emergency service team who is eager to help you in any disaster! If you experience a water damage from a storm, give us a call at 518-677-3444!
Biohazard- The Impact of Infectious Disease in the Commercial Enviroment
Call us for all your commercial or residential Biohazards cleanups!
In today’s world more and more infectious diseases are becoming a trend that no one seems to get away from. This story is going to give you the knowledge to understand the seriousness of infectious diseases and what we can do to lower the levels of contamination. As we all know every year there is a new case of a bug and/or super bug and we are sometimes unsure as to how they get to us. As the populations increases throughout the world, we see more public areas developing. For example, shopping malls, restaurants and public transportation are at its highest capacity. Therefore, the more social interaction the larger the impact of contracting an infectious disease. No matter where the infection originated, there is no way that it can be controlled unless someone implements a plan of action to stop the spread. There are infectious diseases that are only contracted from animal to animal, as well as human to human. However, today we are seeing that there are infectious diseases transmitting from animal to human. This means diseases are mutating. When a virus mutates there is no plan of action because we don’t have the capabilities or education on how to fight it. It only comes after the after the spread that we begin to build a plan of action and fight the spread. We see if every day, in our countries, states etc. Everyone needs to do their due diligence when it comes to infectious diseases.
We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties specialize in biohazard cleanup and have several years' experience cleaning up biohazards on a commercial level. If your business needs a biohazard cleanup do not hesitate to give us a call at 518-677-3444.
How to Choose a Commercial Restoration Contractor
Call us at 518-677-344!
When a disaster happens in a business, whether it be a pipe leaking, sewage back up, mold spores, or maybe just an odor lingering these situations need to be handled professionally. However, how do you choose which restoration contractor? When searching for a trained restoration contractor is can be challenging to find the correct one. It is important to determine your needs so that you are able to contact the right restoration contractor. You many experience situations like the following: if your basement flooded you would want to contact a water mitigation contractor. If you have a backup into your commercial building of outside water or sewage, you would want to contact a water mitigation contractor. If you have mold growing in your office building, you would want to contact a mold remediation specialist. If you have experienced a puff back from your heating source, or a structural fire has happened, you would want to contact a fire restoration contractor. SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington has a workforce that is fully trained and certified to help with the handling of all your, water mitigation, fire restoration, and mold remediation needs.
Do Your Due Diligence
In today’s world, we look to the internet to find companies, research websites and examine reviews on different companies. Some also like the more traditional route and seek word of mouth references. Both are equally important in finding the right restoration company that fits your needs. SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington has a website that is easy to navigate and links of customers leaving testimonials, blogs, etc. We always recommend reading all our reviews, and all our testimonials to understand WHY SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington is the right professionals to contract. If your find it challenging to do research on the web, please do not hesitate to make a telephone call and ask for references from our office staff here at SERVPRO North Rensselaer/South Washington.
When you property is experiencing a damage, there is cost and time, plus an array of other questions that should be asked before hiring on a restoration company. Some Questions might be:
- Do you have an estimated cost on this job?
- Do you have a license to perform this kind of work?
- Are there any additional hidden fees associated with this job?
- How long will the job take?
- What kind of chemicals do you use and are they harmful to children, pets, etc.
- Who will be in charge of this job and how many on his/her crew?
Please deep in mind, again we are available for all questions you may have and please never hesitate to ask a trained professional here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington. We are Always Here to Help. Just give us a call at (518)677-3444.
Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
Hurricane season is fast approaching. Here are some things you should do to prepare before the storm:
- Review your local authority’s plan to prepare and respond to hurricanes so you are aware of how it will impact you and your family
- Create a plan that includes where you will evacuate to, how you will receive emergency alerts and warnings, and how you and your family will communicate with each other
- Stock up on emergency supplies that could last up to 5 days
- Prepare a “go-bag” in case you need to evacuate with short notice
- Prepare and protect your property
- Prepare financially
Prepare the following:
- Emergency food and water supply
- Emergency medicine supply
- Emergency power sources such as flashlights, candles, extra batteries
- Fire extinguisher
- Important documents, including medical documents, wills, passports, and personal identification’
- Safety and personal items
Even if you are not in a hurricane-prone location, share this information with your friends and loved ones so they are prepared for this upcoming hurricane season. If you are in a hurricane-prone location, make sure your neighbors and community are also prepared.
Preparing for a Winter Storm
Snowplow, plowing snow on snow covered roads.
Are you ready for a severe winter storm? It’s important to know how to keep your family, home and self safe with winter storm season approaching. Here are a list of things to do:
- Stock your food pantry with non-perishable items in case you lose power.
- Buy bottled water in case your pipes freeze and you have no access to tap water.
- Fill your prescriptions and pick up hygiene items
- Build an emergency kit include items such as first aid items, flashlights, batteries, a fire extinguisher, matches, candles, cash, travelers’ checks, important family documents blankets and sleeping bags.
- Stock up on ice melt and check your tools
- Prepare for a power blackout.
- Make an emergency communication plan with family
- Protect your water pipes
- Seal your windows and doors
- Check or install new smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Prepare your yard
- Ready your car
- Stay informed
- Be careful
Know Your Hurricane Categories
Call us at 518-677-3444.
The best way to prepare for any sort of natural disaster is to educate yourself and understand them! Hurricanes are no different, when you are sitting at home watching television and you see reports that a hurricane is coming you likely think, how bad is this storm and what do I need to do to protect myself and my family?
One of the most common tools used to decipher and understand hurricanes is called the Saffir Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. This scale categorizes hurricanes based off their wind speeds primarily. There are 5 categories on this scale. Hurricanes reaching a category 3 or higher are major hurricanes with life threatening and significant potential for extreme damage.
Category 1 hurricanes have wind speeds between 74-95mph. This level of a storm will likely cause minimal damage to your home. This speed of wind however can still lead to some damages and loss of power.
Category 2 hurricanes have wind speeds between 96-110mph. Winds of this speed can cause an increase in damage to your home and property. Several trees may be down, roads can be shut down, and power outages will most definitely occur.
Category 3 hurricanes have wind speeds between 111-129mph. Significant damage will be done to most homes such some roof damage. Power outages will occur lasting several days typically with this high level of a storm.
Category 4 hurricanes have wind speeds between 130-156mph. Storms of this category are very deadly and destructive. Significant damage that is sometimes irreparable will be done to your home and property.
Category 5 hurricanes have winds that are greater than 157mph. This is the highest category of a storm on this scale. A storm of this caliber is highly destructive leaving buildings, homes, and even entire residential areas uninhabitable for weeks or even months.
We here at SERVPRO can help you prepare for any storms that lay ahead by completing an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP). Please call us if you have any questions we are always here to help. We can be reached at 518-677-3444.
Call us at 518-677-3444.
With grilling season in full swing so are grill related disasters! Did you know that between 2014-2018 there were around 10,600 home fires per year due to a grill like incident? The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that roughly there was $149 million in damages due to these fires. There are however steps you can take to help minimize your chances of ending up in a bad situation and protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Grills should be placed away from your home, deck railings, and overhanging branches.
- Be aware of grass near your grill especially if it dry. If ashes fly off from your grill and land on dry grass a fire can be started quickly.
- Always keep your children and pets away from the grill!
- Never leave your grill unattended!
- Always clean your grill after you are finished using it. You want to remove grease and fat buildup from the grill trays and below your grill.
When fire and water damages transpire a fast response is crucial. And we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties are here to help! We are available 24/7 365 days a year and are dedicated to responding immediately to your needs. A faster response time helps to prevent secondary damage and greatly reduce costs. If you experience a barbecue or grill fire, call us at (518) 677-3444.
Oh no my basement flooded! What do I do?
Call us at 518-677-3444!
What to do When Your Basement Floods
When a basement floods it is a stressful and confusing time. There are several different reasons basements can flood, a broken water pipe, heavy rainfall, or even a sump pump failure. Fortunately, here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties we have been able to help families with flooded basements all around our local area and are ready to help you! Here are some important steps to take when dealing with a flooded basement:
- Turn off your electricity. This is the first step you want to take as soon as you can safely navigate to the breaker box. Appliances or wires may be in water so there is a good chance there is an electrical current traveling through standing water. This can be deadly! You would want to contact an electrician or electrical company if you are unable to turn it off safely.
- Find/Stop the source of the flood. If you discover the flood is plumbing related you will want to turn off your homes main water valve. If you discover it is rainwater that is flooding your home you will want to use sand bags or flood bags to create a barrier.
- Remove the water. You can use a shop vac, mopping, or blotting to do this depending on the severity. However, the more water you can pick up the better!
- Remove affected materials. You want to dispose of flooded carpeting or padding that is unsalvageable. Other porous items such as wooden furniture or sofas need drying as soon as possible to salvage them!
- Did you know that mold can start to develop withing 24 hours of introduction to water? It is crucial to dry and disinfect the area properly in order to keep mold and bacteria from growing and spreading.
If your home suffers a water damage from a flooded basement, you want to check your insurance coverage to see what is covered. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties have years of experience and the resources to help with all your water damage needs. And we are prepared to get your home back to pre-flood conditions, “Like it never even happened.”
Candle Free Alternatives!
Call us at 518-677-3444!
Candles are lovely to have in your home, they bring wonderful aromas as well as a “homey” sense we all love. However, as great as they are over 15,000 home fires are caused by candles. These statistics are staggering. So we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties are happy to share with you some alternatives to the traditional candle jars.
- Essential Oil Diffuser
Oil diffusers are great! They can fill your room with therapeutic scents such as lavender, peppermint, and more. Each scent can have different health benefits such as helping to cope with anxiety.
- Reed Diffuser
Reed diffusers also use essential oils however the difference is that the reeds diffuse scents over several weeks and require not maintenance. No flames, no wax, or any sort of plug in.
- Fairy Lights
These are battery run or electricity run lights which are perfect for setting the mood without the need of a flaming candle. They come in several different colors as well!
- Wax Warmers
This is a flame free device that warms scented wax melts/cubes that can release smell they are also electrical or batter powered.
- Flameless Candles
These are battery operated candles that give the appearance of having a flame! They provide that cozy atmosphere that you are looking for from a candle but without the risks that come along with a flaming candle!
These are just a few options that we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties wanted to share with you. We hope everyone stays safe and if you ever have any fire, water, or mold needs please give us a call at (518) 677-3444.