Storms and Floods: Tips and Safety to Consider!
Flood water can wreak havoc on any home or business. Avoiding floods may not be entirely possible but there are ways to reduce the impact of water damages. If a storm is approaching here are some actions to take!
- Consider flood insurance. Floods tend to follow storms and many policies do not cover floods so check your policy to make sure you are covered!
- Locate weak points. Retrofit your doors and seal all windows. You can even have a professional come out to inspect your roof, basement, and gutters.
- Keep valuables on your upper levels. Floods tend to for the most part impact basements so moving irreplaceable belongings to upper levels or even higher up on shelves can help reduce risk of damage.
- Consider purchasing a portable generator.
- Remove or trim rotting trees or branches around your home or business. These are at increased risk of falling and causing injury or damage during a storm!
- Sign up for your communities alert system. So you can be prepared for when a storm is approaching.
- During storm unplug appliances and other electrical devices.
- Avoid flooded roadways. Never drive your vehicle through a road that is flooded.
- Watch for fallen power lines and trees. Always be on lookout!
- Stay away from anything metal! Avoid wires, metal fences, tractors, farm equipment, golf clubs, bicycles, etc.
Storms can hit quickly and unexpectedly, leaving a trail of damage behind. SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide emergency services. Our crew responds quickly to restore properties affected by storms, if you experience storm damage please call us at (518)677-3444.